What is CEDAW?
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW)
- Further details on UN CEDAW site
3 Principles of Equality:
- CEDAW stresses the importance of the equality of opportunity as well as equality of outcome. Principle of Non-Discrimination.
- CEDAW emphasizes that discrimination is socially constructed and calls for states to recognize and remedy discriminatory practices. Principle of State Obligation.
- CEDAW requires states who have adopted CEDAW to actively eliminate discrimination against women and achieve gender equality.